Image1

History

The Evergreen 2000 Trust area includes Cocksherd Wood, Lynch Hill, Bangles Spinney, Cocksherd Green, Lammas Meadow and the Haymill. Of these, Cocksherd Wood and the Haymill (known locally as ‘The Millie’) are of outstanding significance to the community.

Much of the northern part of the area was once Lower Britwell Farm. In 1842, Lower Britwell Farm was owned by Lord Godolphin, ninth Duke of Leeds and was farmed by William Bayley. In 1895 the farm was sold to the Christie-Miller family, who already owned Britwell Court. In 1920, the farm was merged with Upper Britwell Farm and was sold by the Christie-Millers to Edward Clifton-Brown. The wealthy Clifton-Brown family resided at what is now the Burnham Beeches Hotel.

The Clifton-Browns therefore owned much of this area, which was then called the Burnham Grove Estate and which is now the Burnham Grove Nature Reserve.

You can see some old maps of the area by clicking on the left-hand navigation panel.

On 25th January 1951 a very large part of the Burnham Grove Estate was acquired by the London County Council and over subsequent years was developed into the Britwell Housing Estate, initially designed to re-house people from London and to provide accommodation for workers in the Slough Trading Estate.

The world is forever changing and Britwell is no exception. Evergreen 2000 Trust, as well as helping to protect open spaces, is keen to remind Britwell folk of the heritage all around them.

 

a

b

c

BuiltWithNOF

[Evergreen 2000] [History] [-Map 18th C.] [-Map 1790-1808] [-Map 1822] [-Map 1891] [-Map c.1930] [Our Founder] [Britwell Loop] [Merchandise] [Latest News] [Location aids] [Maintenance] [Photo gallery] [Modern maps] [Michael F Twist] [Links] [Contact Us] [Sponsors] [CWPP]